Do you have a leadership mindset?Mar 18, 2022
People are promoted every day. This doesn’t mean they are going to be great leaders. There are a few things you need to be thinking of and a way to be thinking of them. In this post I share 5 leadership mindsets you should have or be prepared to develop if you want to be a successful leader.
- Face the music: You are going to be dealt plenty of problems. They will come from your staff, your boss, customers, stake holders etc. So, you’d better be prepared to face and handle them.
- Decisiveness: To be a great leader, you are going to be able to make plenty of decisions quickly and confidently. You will need to filter the facts from fiction and realize that NOT deciding is also a decision.
- Humble: As a leader it is great to know what you know, but it’s also valuable to know what you don’t know. As a leader you will want to be humble enough let others shine and show you a thing or two.
- Accountability: When mistakes are made by you, they are yours to own. When mistakes are made by your team… they are also yours to own (isn’t this great?). You need to make sure you are where the buck stops. You can work with you team on the errors made but in the moment of being called out by a customer or boss, the blame is yours.
- Honest and Transparent: You will find that the more honest and transparent you are with your team, the more they trust and respect you. You will want to learn how to share the most information with your team and not hide things. Thinking that your team doesn’t need all the facts or reasons because they get paid to do what you need is a losing mindset.
At the end of the day, leadership isn’t that hard. So long as you know you are dealing with people and people are crazy, you’ll be good.
To go more in-depth on this topic, listen to my most recent podcast.
Are you ready to level up your leadership skills? Join over 2200+ readers of The Leadership Gems 💎 Weekly Newsletter and unlock a world of possibilities!